Thursday, November 25, 2010

She's one speedy chick!

 Bailey's school holds an annual "Geckathon".  It is a triathalon for the students who attend Lava Ridge.  Bailey had mentioned it and of course knowing what a quick little bugger she is, we started right away trying to convince her to participate.  After much coaxing and a little bit of bribing we convinced her to give it a try.  She was VERY nervous as the race day grew closer.  She would be swimming 300 meters, followed by a 4-5 mile bike ride, and end it with a 2 mile run.  It seemed like a lot for such a little girl.  I admit I wondered if it would be too much for her.
 Since Bailey was participating Mat and I were asked to volunteer so we didn't really get a chance to see her once she left the pool.  One of the boys in the swimming lane that I was helping with mentioned he didn't have a towel.  I thought I could just sneak into the girls locker room and grab Bailey's since I was sure she would be finishing up with it since she had just gotten out of the pool.  Not only had she dominated in swimming she was one of the first girls on the bikes!  She had already left the locker room when I went in there!  Mat and I rushed from the pool once our time to volunteer was over hoping we could watch some of Bailey's racing.  We called my dad and asked if she was running yet.  He said yes, and she was in the lead!!!  Once we parked we high-tailed it to the school hoping we wouldn't miss her crossing the finish line.  We made it in time to watch her last lap around the running course.  Mat ran up to her and told her she was in first and needed to keep pushing.  He stayed with her until the final stretch and my mommy heart couldn't have been filled with more happiness at seeing my baby girl run that final stretch with no other competitors around her and looking amazingly strong!
After she came across the finish line and we checked her time we realized that a 7th grader who was quite taller and had a bit better bike came in a couple of minutes before her.  We didn't care.  She ROCKED!!! Out of around 40 girls she placed 2nd and Mat and I were bursting with pride over our tiny little girl who left so many in the dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment