Sunday, March 29, 2009

Do you give your kid a cow?


So Easton's turning 6 in a week and for the last 3 months he's told pretty much everyone that he is getting a cow for his birthday. Ughh! Where did he get a thought like that??? Certainly not from his mother! Mat suggested a few months back that he should ask for one and it would be tons of fun. How is a cow going to be fun for anyone? Frustrated that I wasn't consulted on the matter I quickly interjected that we don't live on a farm and that city ordinances (thankfully) don't allow non-domesticated animals in our subdivision. Thus one of the big selling points for me when we purchased here. Now, I tease Mat that he grew up on a farm, which his family insists is not true, but he had his own pet pig, they had goats, chickens, rabbits (which they ate, yuck) and horses etc. Sounds like a farm to me but whatever. For Mat asking for a cow probably wouldn't be something his parents needed to discuss before they committed to one. I don't live on a farm people! Mat thinks it's ridiculous that I don't have to discuss my gifts (which I truly do anyway) but he has to ask my permission. This is a little bit different than say a board game. He has reassured Easton that the cow can be kept a block down the road at an actual farm and if that doesn't work out he had Easton call his Grandpa Holt and got permission to keep it at his house. Is this the weirdest birthday gift or what? I keep telling Easton that I will let him pick out the coolest, fastest bike at the store, but my ideas are nothing compared to the idea of his cow. The best part is that he has a name for his cow that we don't even have yet...Bullet. That is what Mat's pig was named because Mat knew what would happen to him and Easton is all for getting to raise this thing so he can kill it for food. Luckily Mat convinced him that he can take it to auction and make money on it. I really think this is an awful idea. I think it's a novelty that will wear off and I'll get stuck (as I have with other pets) taking care of Bullet. Seriously what do you do with a cow? A really cool bike however...

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I am totally laughing. This is exactly the sort of thing I would picture Mat to do. I'm sorry Jamie, you married a Holt and we are a weird bunch. Good luck with the cow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Gosh! That is the funniest thing I've ever heard! Good luck with that. Tell Easton Happy Birthday and to enjoy Bullet {hee hee}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally think every kid should have a cow!
    No seriously, i grew up on a dairy farm and got to raise baby calves-it was fun. But...i see your dilemma :) hilarious :)

    ReplyDelete