Friday, December 27, 2013

Thanksgiving?


 Those couples that ditch their kids on holiday weekends to jet off to the Caribbean...YUP we are them!  We DID celebrate Thanksgiving traditionally on the 4th Thursday of November eating Turkey and playing kickball with our kids.  The day after however, we DID watch a couple of Easton's soccer games in the traditional Thanksgiving tournament, but shortly after caught a flight to Fort Lauderdale and snuck away for a week on a cruise.
 Of course the last vacation that was just Mat and I was when Peyton was less than a year old.  We were due for our own time together as well as it being MUCH needed time together.
 We visited Princess Cays in the Bahamas as well as the islands of Curacao and Aruba.  Not too shabby to be in the Caribbean during the first week of December.  When we finally were back in Port Everglades we began receiving all of our missed texts as well as new texts with many pics attached of SNOW!
Apparently it snowed not once but twice while we were away in good ol' Southern Utah and was snowing quite heavily as we were beginning our route home.  I had looked at temps for St. George after a quick stop at a wifi stop in Curacao and thought my phone and switched to Celsius readings because the temps were significantly less than when we left in fact I'd never seen temps that low in St. George.  We had a brief stop in Dallas on our way to Florida and Mat questioned me with concern as we were eating lunch in our shorts and t-shirts about having a stop on our way home.  Dallas had cancelled 2,500 flights!  Luckily we did in fact have a direct flight.

After hearing various reports of the gorge being unsafe to travel and finally hearing that it was closed we were thinking we would need to stay the night in Vegas.  We decided to fill the car up with gas and try our luck going over Utah Mountain.  It took us over 3 hours to finally get home to our kids and we came home to a complete winter wonderland!  I was shocked at how incredibly cold it was and that the snow stayed for weeks!  I felt guilty that we didn't get to watch Easton's team take the championship that weekend and that we didn't get to take the kids Christmas tree hunting.  I felt guilty that I didn't get to watch my kids delight as they watched the snow fall.  I felt guilty until I actually returned home and felt the frigid cold.  Then I couldn't figure why we didn't just have the kids flown to Florida to join us. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment