Thursday, July 1, 2010

Call Me a Junkie...

Yes, I'm an addict. I have a problem and I fully admit it. No need for intervention, it's just my thing. I LOVE hair products! From the time my hair was long enough my mother took me to the salon had them wrap my hair with the absolute smallest curlers and perm my hair until it was the frizziest fur ball around. Once I reached middle/high school I took a stand. Yes I admit to still getting a few perms during those years but this is also when I my addiction started.
It began with me strolling the aisles of Smith's to find a miracle treatment to help heal my hair from all of the torture it had been through. The grocer's products sufficed for a small while until I began working at a beauty supply store at the mall. (Yes, it was a dream job for me.) While my employment there only lasted a few months, mostly due to the fact that all the workers there were far more in love with themselves than I could ever be, I was hooked!
I truly didn't know what I would do when I got married and had to actually "budget" for my habit. I knew there was no way Mat would allow my expenditures in the hair care area. In fact a very sweet guest to our wedding even gave us some salon products. It was a VERY difficult thing to share with Mat. It WAS after all a gift for both of us but come on, did he really need to use it too? After being married a short while I disregarded the budget and spoiled myself with a bottle of my favorite conditioner. I finally mustered up the courage to tell Mat that it was VERY expensive and I wanted it to last as long as it would. He understood and never used it. However, one day he was rubbing my aching back and the "lotion" he was using get drying out and getting pasty. He just kept adding until I finally recognized the scent and asked what on earth he was using for my back rub! He had used the majority of the bottle on my back!!!

Mat's gotten better with understanding my addiction and lucky for me, (not so much for Mat) I have a list of close friends who are licensed hair stylists and while for the most part I only burden one with my phone calls asking to help me get a discount and rarely pay full price for my salon products anymore.

Mat has really come full circle with the understanding that my hair is longer and thus needs the more expensive products and rarely uses "my" products. The only problem now is that I have this sweet little girl about to turn 11 and she is already showing the signs of being a hair product junkie. She understands that she may use certain products of mine only in extreme dry times. However, every now and then I catch a whiff of her hair and know exactly what was used. How can I really be mad when I understand the need for shiny, smelly hair?


1 comment: