Sunday, March 28, 2010

Caleb's Big Day

Caleb turned 8 in January. Of course the following month would typically be when an 8 year old growing up in the gospel would be baptized. Unless your older sister had a cheer competition that month in Salt Lake. Naturally, the following month would suffice. Unless of course, your family had planned a trip to Hawaii then. Lucky for us we got to have the baptisms early this month due to general conference, so Caleb finally took the plunge! Truly Caleb is such a sweetheart. Not only is he a handsome fella he has a brightness about him that makes you smile.
I remember my baptism day and the only picture I have from it is a Polaroid of my dad and I wearing white. I remember insisting my dad wear his mint green suit to match my mint green dress that I had chosen to wear. Oh how that ages me!!! The day I was baptised my brother (obviously) was also. Along with my cousin who's father had passed away so my dad had the honor of 3 in one swoop. Baptisms today seem to be a lot more work than I remember mine being. Of course the whole family came back then but the baptism was it. No dinner, no gifts, just a Polaroid attached to your baptism certificate. I really don't mind any effort we made to make Caleb's day special. He was beaming all day and I just tried to keep the tears in check.
Along with Caleb's baptism this week I had sharing time and got to sub for the primary president in ward council. Wouldn't you know it was her turn for the thought and prayer. I tend to stress badly with sharing time alone. Why 100 little children intimidate me I have no idea. Giving a thought in ward council is pure torture in comparison however. Although, having the bishop call you up after your sons baptism and ask you to bear your testimony in front of a small group of family nearly did me in! Thank you for that Bishop!
When all was said and done I was unbelievably grateful for being blessed with such an amazing kid. I'm so pleased with the boy Caleb is and the man he is growing up to be.

Now if we could just get a bit of Caleb's mild nature to rub off on his little brother...









1 comment:

  1. Congrats! What a fun day to have with your family. I have to agree I don't remember my baptism day being such a big deal as they are today - we went to the stake center and was baptized along with about 10 other kids. We are hoping we get to baptize Ren soon - but who knows with her mom.

    ReplyDelete