Friday, January 29, 2010

Two years and still going strong!


January 31st marks the 2 year anniversary of the day Mat left his job of 10 years to venture out on his own. With me 4 months pregnant, and Mat serving in the bishopric, not to mention the economy had started to take a nice little dive, this was not an ideal time for me. He had been feeling that he needed to leave his job for a few months and I was quite reluctant. We'd almost taken the plunge a few years prior and I just wasn't at ease with it. His job was pretty good and I liked security. When it came down to it though, neither of us were happy with him working there anymore. At the first of January we set a timetable that if things that he'd been promised didn't go through by the 31st he would leave. The day he quit I spent crying A LOT! They gave him the option of taking 2 weeks or that being his last day. He wanted nothing more than to get to work for himself so it was a LONG day for him. He kept calling me saying he just wanted out. It was hard for me because they had been great to us over the years and he just seemed so determined that this change was going to be great for our family. I decided that this was one of those times that I really needed to trust in him and know that he was being inspired and so I just gave in. From February 1, 2008 neither of us have regretted the decision at all. Immediately we saw Mat more (and not because of lack of work) and when we went on family vacations I didn't mind if he had to answer the phone concerning work. If he worked late it was benefiting us which turns out to be fabulous! There are still times that I have to remind him that there needs to be a balance but he is an amazing guy. We feel truly humbled by how we were led to our decision and are grateful beyond words that we have had the work we needed come our way. We know that it was the right time and the right type of business for us. Mat still gets the opportunities to build cabinets (which he loves) but he is a master at finishes. Although I am a silent partner I feel very blessed to be a part of a great company. Here's to many more years in business!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats to you two on an amazing success story! It's so hard to give up security and trust that something will work out on it's own! Great job~ Mat does beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - amazing! Is that your bedroom- holy cow! Are you in the same ward as my cousin Elisa?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, not my bedroom. We've had some rather wealthy clients. This couple is crazy rich. Mat refinished the beams and cabinets. Yes, Elisa lives a block away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work Mat!!!...congrats on your success!!

    ReplyDelete