Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Saying goodbye...

After almost 33 years of living on the Red Hill my parents have officially moved.  While I've had plenty of time to come to terms with the move it was still very difficult for us.  I've really only ever known this house.  It was where we put on plays on the pool table in the basement.  Where we filled up garbage cans with water to swim in during the summer.  Where I would hit tennis balls against the gargage door everyday.  On the porch was where Mat first told me he loved me. 
 Where every summer since I turned six was spent outside swimming in the pool.  Playing with Becca, Christi, and the rest of the neighborhood gang.  Where each Saturday morning we would all meet to hike up to the top of the red hill and goof off in our own "rooms" on top.
 Most people I went to school with have at one time or another come to hang out there.  Most people didn't knock at my parents they just walked right in.  In fact if you knocked we would get irritated for having to answer the door. 
 This is where I learned by trial and many errors how to cook.  Also where I decided that I never wanted a huge house.  I really hated cleaning it. 
This is the place that was welcome to almost anyone.  The only people that weren't ever really wanted there (at least by me) only ever made it inside to the living room.  It was a very formal place and I can remember spending a lot of time trying to be polite but still trying to get a particular group of boys to leave me alone.  Thus, they only ever saw the formal side.
I grew up here. I have so many wonderful memories and my heart breaks that my kids will only get to take a few memories with them.  I loved our home and will miss it greatly. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my heck, my mom and dad almost moved a few months ago and I wanted to die!!!! I feel your sadness, when it's your childhood home, that's where you want everyone to be forever!!!! I hope they're happy and in a great home!!!

    ReplyDelete