Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Going for GOLD!

This past week was the Utah Summer Games.  Mat so lovingly pointed out to me that it has been 16 years since I competed and took home a gold medal in soccer.  Now I was cheering for my kids chasing after their own golds.  Caleb would have two chances by running the 5k and playing for his soccer team.  Bailey was running the 5k as well. 
 Caleb didn't medal in the 5k but ran his personal best with a time of 23:56 and took fourth!  Bailey did end up getting a medal.  Also running her personal best time of 23:24 she took a bronze home.  Although she was a few minutes faster than the gold medalist from 2010 she was up against some VERY fast kids.  The gold medalist in her division ran a 21:07 and was only eight years old.  Very impressive!
For the most part we just drove up to Cedar everyday.  Hotels were on high demand and they were fairly high dollar.  We did end up staying in one Friday night.  We had to be at the race on Saturday at 6:00 a.m. and since Mat was participating in the Summer Games Triathlon I was on my own.  It worked out nicely since Peyton didn't sleep at all through the night but I was able to leave her with older kids while I took the kids to the race. 
 After the 5k Mat met us up in Cedar for the Gold medal game for Caleb's team.  Mat did awesome in his triathlon and beat the time he had set as his goal by ten minutes!  Caleb's team was playing a team that they had lost to in regular season play but had beat the previous day.  We knew going into it that we had the better team but you never really know how things will go.
 We wanted to not only win but win by a good margin.  The boys ROCKED!  The final score of the game was 8-1 in our favor! They were stoked as well as their parents and coaches!
 It was a great game and the boys had earned it!   They went undefeated in their age group for the Summer Games!
 It was a great way to end a super busy week.  I feel like I am constantly bragging about my kids, (which I really can't stand when parents do) in my defense, I am completely shocked at how amazing they are!  I am stunned at their abilities and while I sometimes have to fight to get them to their practices I know that when I was their age my parents could have NEVER made me get up at 6:00 a.m. in the summer for practice or practice for as many hours as they do.  They constantly impress me.

No comments:

Post a Comment