Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Ya...We grow our own!

Last spring Caleb's 2nd grade class took a field trip to Cotton Days in Washington. Caleb was so excited to show me his cotton seeds when he got home. Little pieces of lint is all it looked like to me. He of course went right outside to plant his treasures. After about a week I noticed they were actually growing plants! I mentioned to Mat that Caleb had planted his seeds in the front planter so they weren't mistaken for weeds. Mat said he had already realized that only after he had pulled all but one plant out. Well, who woulda thought that it would grow so well! The biggest drawback when the kids plant their seeds from school is that they don't really use the uniform way of planting that I prefer in my front planters. Needless to say this plant was just about to get pulled until last night...
Easton came running in saying "Caleb! You have COTTON!" Both boys rushed outside and came in with the first fruits of Caleb's crop. A handful of cotton!Seriously? This stuff really grows this well here? I suppose if we ever REALLY need to be self-sufficient we can grow our own cotton, spin it, weave it, and make our own clothing. How ambitious is that?!! SO glad I'm not a pioneer in so many ways! For now I'll stick to ordering our clothing with a click of the mouse and wait impatiently for my packages to arrive.


1 comment: