Sunday, September 5, 2010

Once a year, whether we need it or not.

Since I was old enough to complete the hunter safety course and officially have my name submitted for "special" hunts my dad has dutifully done just that. When Mat married me I believe that this knowledge was what eventually cinched the deal for him at least. Well, a few years ago all of those "points" I had accumulated over the years paid off. Mat, finally got to "help" me hunt in a special unit for archery. Like I said though...archery. Which means that you have to hike quite a bit, scout quite a bit, and frankly I knew I wasn't going to be spending a lot of time at home that year during the hunt. Mat and I talked it over and we decided that if he was going to drag me up the mountain for weeks on end that a tent wouldn't quite cut it. We bought a camper that summer. At first it was used quite a bit. It was after all hunting season. My hunt was successful and all was well. The following year Mat drew out for the same tag. The following year my dad did. Each year the camper has come out of the dirt lot we park it in less and less.
Well, with Labor Day weekend upon us we decided it was finally time to charge the battery, fill the tanks, and take the family camping for the first time this year! Of course I assume it will be the last as well.
We still took the family up to Panguitch frankly because it's just become tradition now. We had the Green's join us and had a blast. I admit, I really do like to camp. I don't like to go out to the camper to load up and have it be a disaster that's sat there for a year or being the maid, cook, and babysitter while Mat hunts, but he promised me that wouldn't happen this time. Well, the camper was in fact in shambles so after I wiped up all of the spills that has sat for a year and washed all of the bedding we were on our way!

Mat ended up being very helpful and didn't spend all of his time hunting. Peyton was in heaven riding on the 4-wheelers and stealing snacks from the camper. The boys had a blast building huts with their cousins, fishing, and doing all the things boys do in the mountains. Bailey spent a good portion of her time perfecting hemp necklaces for a boy at school she likes. Haha!
One thing about camping is we ALWAYS eat well. Sure the utensils probably aren't near as sanitary as they are at home, and the food does get a bit of dirt in it here and there, but dutch oven potatoes, fruit, snacks, all of it, are just some of the best things in life.

I can never understand why the bunk in the camper is so exciting. There are miles and miles of trees, streams, 4-wheeling trails and such, and the camper is still one of the favorite places for the kids to hang out.

We finally allowed Bailey to drive dad's 4-wheeler by herself and she certainly loved it. It's never been an issue of not being old enough, she's just so darn tiny we've worried about her ability to control it. I think she's officially done driving the kid 50 around. Of course 3rd gear is all she's allowed to put it in still.

We all came back late Saturday night so we could make it to baby Ryder's blessing and the boys headed back up for an extra night while the girls have stayed home where there's showers, clean bedding, and not so many bugs. I suppose we'll be treating ourselves to pedicures tomorrow while the boys can clean out the camper for once!







No comments:

Post a Comment