Friday, April 1, 2011

An actual "break" for spring.

 We signed Mat and Bailey up a week before the Spectrum 10K and we were pretty excited.  After Bailey's "stomach aches" for the 9K she has just run/walked in the freezing cold, the weather looked great and Bailey's weekly runs went well.  After the first mile (in 7:15) she told Mat that she quit and wasn't running anymore.  They argued and fought.  An old lady passed and said "C'mon, you're NOT going to let an old lady pass you are you?" Well, they did. As I waited at the finish line I became more and more frustrated as the minutes went on.  SLOW people were crossing and still no Mat and Bailey.  When they finally did cross the finish line they looked so strong!  Apparently once Bailey decided she would run she did. She has amazing abilities and I know that sometimes I need to remember how little she really is.  It was frustrating however.  The mental aspect won this time. Ugh!
 After the race was over, Mat and I left the kids and went to buy some spring flowers to plant in the yard.  Mat forgot a coupon while we were at the nursery so he ran home to get it while I chose the flowers.  When he came back he said little Peyton was asleep.  I chuckled knowing how early she had been up for the race and knew she was tired.  Mat said she had hurt herself on the trampoline and cried then fell asleep.  My heart felt bad that I wasn't there to console her but I was relieved to know she was getting a nap. Well, she napped, and napped, and when she finally woke up I tried to get her to go to the bathroom.  She said no.  She just wanted to lay in bed.  I figured she must not be feeling well.  She mentioned her leg hurt and I kissed it better and went out to plant.  After a while I wasn't feeling all too hot so I went to lay down by her.  Bailey and I were both cuddling with the little sweetheart when Mat came in to check on us.  He expressed concern that Peyton was still laying in bed and thought we ought to get her owie checked out.  I thought he was being silly and I didn't want to pay unnecessary medical bills so I asked him to call our neighbor to have her looked at.  He wasn't home so Mat convinced me to take her to have her leg looked at.  Yep, Mat was right. (This time.) Peyton had broken her leg.  She WAS in pain and once she got a soft cast on her leg she was so much happier.  Our neighbor came by the following day and said he would put a hard cast on her and that we could expect it to be on for 6-8 weeks!  My heart ached for my baby girl.  The one who LOVES dancing and would have to be taken out her class.  The one who LOVES pretending she's a cheerleader and playing with friends.  After checking the x-rays a few days later we were told she would be out for 4-6 weeks which was better but still disheartening.  She quickly became adjusted to the cast and is hobbling around, going up and down stairs, and doing things much more independently which is fabulous! She loves all of the attention she gets from everyone and thinks every day is her birthday with people bringing gifts constantly.  My poor little princess. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment